Luzie’s father, Captain Tim Timm is unexpectedly hired by a shipping company that specialises in salvaging shipwrecks – and for Luzie that means summer holidays in the Caribbean! However it has to be said that life on board the Constantina is far from idyllic, as Elena Wagner, the company’s boss, has only one goal: salvaging the Santa Clara. The ship sank in 1629 with a vast cargo of gold on board. But Elena Wagner is not the only one looking for the treasure: of all people it is her assistant who wants to get there first on his own steam. But he hadn’t reckoned with Luzie and Frau Wagner’s son Marco!
- the starting point for all treasure hunts is research (log books, court files, naval charts, insurance files)
- how many wrecks are thought to remain at the bottom of the ocean?
- main causes of shipwreck (wars, piracy, storms, reefs)
- high-tech sonar equipment for scanning the sea bed
- what happens to the treasure – sold on the black market or used for scientific research?
Tiger Eye stories are exciting adventure stories for boys and girls on the favourite themes of young readers of nine-plus.
The authors and illustrators know their subject areas inside out and manage to slip factual information suitable for the readership age into their thrilling stories. Varied page layouts and a high number of illustrations (e.g. “spot the…” picture puzzles, area maps, mazes, cross sections etc.) invite browsing, amazement and discovery.